A leader in the provision of infrastructure and services which sustain and enhance the natural environment and achieve a quality lifestyle for residents and visitors.
Providing governance which is:
- Socially Just
- Built and Natural Environment
To plan for future growth while ensuring a healthy well managed natural environment.
- Community and Social WellbeingTo provide opportunities for recreation and culture for all and to foster a safe and caring community.
- Economic DevelopmentTo plan for sustainable economic and tourism development.
- Infrastructure ManagementTo plan and manage infrastructure and assets to meet community needs.
- Corporate GovernanceTo ensure Council management and practices provide effective, efficient, socially just, transparent and visionary governance.
To create long term financial viability while responding to the needs and demands of the community.
The Local Government Act provides Council with the following charter:
- To provide directly or on behalf of other levels of government, after due consultation, adequate, equitable and appropriate services and facilities for the community and to ensure that those services and facilities are managed efficiently and effectively.
- To exercise community leadership.
- To exercise its functions in a manner that is consistent with and actively promotes the principles of multiculturalism.
- To promote and to provide and plan for the needs of children.
- To properly manage, develop, protect, restore, enhance and conserve the environment of the area for which it is responsible, in a manner that is consistent with and promotes the principles of ecologically sustainable development.
- To have regard to the long term and cumulative effects of its decisions.
- To bear in mind that it is the custodian and trustee of public assets and to effectively account for and manage the assets for which it is responsible.
- To facilitate the involvement of councillors, members of the public, users of facilities and services and Council staff in the development, improvement and co-ordination of local government.
- To raise funds for local purposes by the fair imposition of rates, charges and fees, by income earned from investments and, when appropriate, by borrowings and grants.
- To keep the local community and the State Government (and through it, the wider community) informed about its activities.
- To ensure that, in the exercise of its regulatory functions, it acts consistently and without bias, particularly where an activity of the Council is affected.
- To be a responsible employer.